Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Vintage Cowgirl Birthday Party...

Pin It Now!
Darling COW+GIRL=COWGIRL tee available from etsy seller Oh! Fiddlesticks
Vintage floral print skirt is from etsy seller Laken&Lila


This post is a little off the beaten path, I know. Most of you come here for the flowers! However, this post has flowers AND fun party styling, so stick around... there are lots of styling tips that can be used for weddings and showers, too!

A couple months back, I got to do a vintage cowgirl party for my little girl Lucia, who turned two. There were a few reasons that this was the perfect party for her...

#1... an obsession (daily!) with some pink, light-up, awesome cowgirl boots
#2... an obsession with the farm (our local petting zoo/farmstead, Deanna Rose)
#3... an obsession with ponies in particular
#4... because, well... this theme was right up MY alley too. And let's be real... kids parties are also for the parents. :)

My color scheme was based on this kind of washed out, vintage sepia tone, along with touches of soft turquoise blues and pinks. There were a few particular items that inspired the styling of this party and served as my overall inspiration, and you'll notice them throughout this post.


  • Years ago, I bought an ebay lot of vintage-looking hankies (new, but perfect reproductions in countless color combos). I bought them with a particular craft project in mind, and of course it never came to fruition. Such is my life. Nevertheless, I used them here, as a pennant-style banner, and I made hankie flowers for the girls' (and my!) hair. Because they weren't sewn (only taped!), they went right back into the bin of "never-to-be-accomplished" craft possibilities. Sigh...
  • I picked up a huge chunk of vintage floral fabric (at Goodwill or something) for 99 cents a couple months ago. At the time, I had no idea what I would do with it... but it was in perfect, unused condition and there were YARDS of it. I ended up using it several places, most notably as a table cloth!
  • Vintage ponies. My dad helped me "collect" these in the weeks before the birthday party. We found all these darling little vintage ceramic pony planters that I used for my floral touches. (These were most likely used as baby gifts, filled with a little floral arrangement or green plant, in the 1950s in particular.) Yes, fresh flowers at a little kid's birthday party might seem silly... but I am FLOWER MOMMY to my girls. So there. :)
  •  {edited to add} The stick ponies were from The Dollar Tree, although they are out of stock now!  :(  
  • Paper & Printables: Party circles and labels, as well as a huge poster. These are the kind of items that are the perfect make-ahead decor! I had custom labels made for the boxed lunches, cupcake toppers, and I also designed a fun "WANTED" poster that featured my kid's fantastic MEAN FACE, as we call it around here.


Here's the cake, topped with a vintage ceramic pony. Side note- while I really enjoy baking, the stress of decorating cakes and cupcakes is a bit overwhelming to me in the hours leading up to parties. I have realized that I prefer taking on projects that can be done ahead of time, and next time, I'm going to leave the sweet stuff to the pros! I made this cake plateau with a little epoxy, a vintage cake plate, and a candle stand from the dollar store. :)


Cupcakes with toppers purchased from The Tomkat Studio. Kim was kind enough to custom design this "vintage cowgirl" line at my request, it turned out so cute!



Drink display! I think that's another important tip to consider when you're buying party goodies... buy drinks with pretty labels! It makes such a huge impact when you're setting them up on a table. Too often, everybody dumps their cans and bottles into a cooler without considering that they make a great addition to your display!




These "cowgirl cookies" are not an original idea by any means... I stole them from Bakerella! (Well, I didn't STEAL them exactly, she GIVES the labels and ideas away!) They were too perfect... they matched our party colors so well! Again, I made them a week in advance. We also included some of these cookies in our lunch boxes for everybody to enjoy.


Here's the cute kraft gable boxes that I put all the lunches in. The kids had PB&J, and we also had chicken salad croissants and turkey and provolone. Kim with Tomkat was awesome and made me some labels to put on the front, and I think it really dresses them up perfectly! I wish I would have gotten a photo of what we put inside... sandwiches, cookies, fruit, and chips. They were a fun element to the picnic-style of party that we were going for.



Below, this is the "pony corral" banner that I made. This was made by using a combination of various fabrics, sewn right onto some scrapbook paper that I cut into a triangle shape for another pennant-style banner. We used twine and clothespins to hang it up, turned out pretty cute! The kids took ponies home for party favors.



Here's a better shot of the WANTED poster that I designed in Picnik! So easy and so much fun to do... man I love this kid, stink-eye and all! It was easy to get this photo because she makes that grumpy cry-baby face 99% of her day, it's just how she rolls. :)





Below, for a quick and easy craft project for the kids (since the petting zoo/farm was their main activity) I just bought a package of white cardboard ponies at Michaels. We had little buckets full of markers, pencils, and glitter glue for them to design with. Quick, easy, and cute, that's my mantra for parties.


My happy girl with her "nay-nay pony" cake. She loved it, and I think all the kids had a good time. I had so much fun with this party, thanks for listening to me ramble about it! ;)







24 comments:

Jackman Clan said...

I saw this on TomCat, sooo cute! I love what you've done with all the vintage stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

SandyinDenver said...

Hi Erin! LOVE LOVE LOVE this. I'm having a mild panic attack because I love it so much. I'm in the process of planning my daughter's 2nd b-day but it's too late to change the theme but THIS will be it next year! Where did you get that great 3 tier stand and all those stick ponies?! Thanks so much! PS: All my in-laws live in KC!!!

Erin Volante Floral said...

Thanks girls for commenting! Sandy, (I love your panic attack comment) I have had that stand for years, I got it from a local interiors boutique-y type place. I have seen them over the last couple years at Marshall's (Homegoods too!), so good luck on your search! I have used it for so many parties.

Tracy said...

Quite possibly my favorite little girl party ever! FABULOUS JOB! Would love to feature it on my blog??

Portraits By Lucinda said...

So this is too incredibly CUTE! Erin you are sooo talented. When I have a baby I am going to have to find a way to convince you to "style" it. Maybe some photoshoot trades :)

Lucinda

Morgan said...

Adorable! Great job. Love your post on TomKat Studios too!

Morgan @ PepperDesignBlog.com

kara's party ideas said...

hello! i found your party through tomkat. i was wondering if it would be ok if i featured it as well? such a darling party! thanks!
karaspartyideas.com

karaspartyideas@yahoo.com

Sue said...

LOVE, love, love it!!! ALL of it!

tea cupcakes said...

Bravo for such a great party...and pictures are so lovely...

Heidi said...

This is just TOO CUTE! Such a fun party idea! And I LOVE your cupcake stand too. And the cowgirl cookie mixes are look like such a fun parting gift!

daniellehut said...

I love the COWGIRL THEME Where did you get the poster made of your little girl

Ebony said...

This is an awesome looking party - saving the blog so I can throw something like this when I have a little cowgirl of my own! Amazing pics and some great looking activities you have there. No wonder your little girl looks so chuffed!

gabriela37 said...

where did u get the chain and bells?? too cute! and super ceative! my daughter is turning 4 in dec. and im gonna have to do this! she loves horses and im also thinking about renting a pony for the day for pony rides!!

Jessica Woodford said...

HI there!

I found you while running a search for the same party ideas & you nailed what I was looking for! I'm planning a vintage cowgirl party for my soon to be 8 year old daughter!

Thanks so much for the inspirations! Can't wait to get started!!

xo,
Jessica

Joy said...

Erin,
Can I purchase the "wanted" poster template from you? It's simply perfect for the cowgirl birthday I'm planning for my twin daughters. Would love to copy your fab design if you are so inclined to share.

Erin Volante Floral said...

Hi Joy!
It wasn't actually a template, or I would sell it to you happily! :) If you can play around with picnik.com, just upload your photo and put some text in their Western fonts across it, that's all I did. I am so NOT a graphic designer and I figured it out pretty easily... sorry I can't be of more help though!
Erin V

sara said...

Hi Erin....I'm planning a derby party for my two year old and was wondering where you found all your stick ponies? I need to buy quite a few so am trying to find as inexpesive as I can. Thanks!
Sara
Sarabethfloyd@yahoo.com

Jodie said...

Hi Erin you've got style, fun & creativityall wrapped up in this party for your gorgeous girl. Can i ask where you got your daughters pink cowgirl boots & the beautiful vintage floral skirts/dresses photo? I also found this via tomKat but love your blog (I'm in Australia!) So glad I came across it. Love the peonies. Thanks for your inspiration.

Melissa said...

Such a cute party! I also want to know where you got those stick ponies!

Erin Volante Floral said...

Hi ladies!
I actually got those stick ponies at The Dollar Tree! Sadly, it looks like they are out of stock: http://www.dollartree.com/toys-games-activities/dolls-stuffed-animals/Ride-on-Stick-Ponies/210c236c236p295721/index.pro
It could never hurt to give them a call though!

Holly said...

I LOVE this party! Everything turned out beautifully. I'm currently planning my daughter's 2nd birthday party and am totally going to "steal" some of your ideas!

BTW-I found a 3 tier rustic wood cupcake stand from Save-On Crafts. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/3tier.html

Thanks for the inspiration!

Vacation Mommy said...

My daughter is obsessed with those boots too! Your party is adorable.... Check out mine!

http://blended.typepad.com/blended/2011/04/the-theme-of-this-party-is-fire-hazard.html

Host-It Notes said...

Love this party! Can I ask where you got the bin that says "Hi Y'all" on it? hostess @ host-itnotes.com

aceneth villarreal said...

Hey there I will love to get a WANTED poster can u email me at Acenethv@gmail.com thank you so much